Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I love to ride motorcycles

I've been riding motorcycles for a long time. I think ten years. it never gets old. I always enjoy pulling out the bike. and the good thing about living in the deep south is, you can ride all the time. year-round. the other good thing about the deep south is all the old highways. one of my favorite things to do is to hit the road with some good friends, load up the bikes with camping gear, and just drive. when we get tired, we stop on the side of the road and set camp. and in the morning we keep riding.

no agenda other than to be quiet, sit still, rest, get some wind, soak in small towns, and long conversation with good friends. actually, now that I think of it, we have a very specific agenda.

the trip last weekend was with benjamin and steve. we got rained on really hard. actually, that's not exactly accurate. we were in the middle of a flash flood / tornado situation and were strategically running (read: driving really fast) from tornadoes all the way home. even with the bad weather, it was still a blast. next trip in a few weeks...








8 comments:

McCool said...

where other than rural alabama could you find a machanic for your lawnmore that also fixes flats.

Anonymous said...

you're a funny bird. dig the yeller poncho. did you get it at the gas station...or big lots? -liza

The Echerds said...

i could be mistaken, but it appears that your motorcycle has 6 cylinders. that sounds crazy even saying it.

Nicholas said...

I am going to get a scooter. Can I ride with you some time?

If that is unacceptable, can you teach me how to tame one of those iron horses?

Brian T. Murphy said...

ryan - perhaps also in rural mississippi. but its easier to find in alabama. at least for an alabama boy like me. I miss our days of driving way too fast...

liza - I had matching yellow pants too. benjamin said I looked like a person from HAZMAT. the pants started melting from engine heat, so I stopped wearing them.

bretty - you need to drive it. its seriously kind of like being on a two-wheeled locomotive.

Brian T. Murphy said...

nicholas - you can ride with me, but scooters are a different breed, and also an apparently much more pretentious sub-culture. not to mention that they are also expensive and slower. I highly recommend getting a real motorcycle. and yes I will gladly help you find it and learn to drive it.

Molly said...

"Brian is one of my best friends in the entire world."
- Benjamin, when he got home from the camping trip.

We love you, BTM.

Nicholas said...

Now that I am watching Long Way Round, I am thinking about these camping trips. Have you seen this, have you heard about this?