Monday, January 26, 2009

january is good for writing, hurting, and being alone.

have not been posting as much lately. things have been intense. a solid mix of bad and good. I have some friends, one in particular who has been a good friend to me for a long time, in ways that I have quietly needed someone to be a good friend to me, and he says that I am "the meetinest person" he knows. not sure if that is true or not, but it's funny when he says it, and it is true, I go to a lot of meetings. I keep up with a lot of people. and of course, some people more than others.

been sitting with a number of my friends through some particularly dark, worrisome times. it's made it easy to second guess how much hope any of us have. and then over the weekend I drove to nashville with some old college friends who are remarkably conservative. I was surprised by some of the things they said and talked about - much of it seemed so foreign to me - but I still appreciated the time and the chance to reconnect. and it was interesting to be reminded about the way I used to think about things. seems like another life.

I've been taking a lot of photographs, and I've been lining up some pretty exciting photo jobs. more on that as they come; I'm still so surprised by this venture. I enjoy it, and I like pictures, and I am thankful for the opportunity to tell stories and show scenes and people the way I see them. and I say this so much, but it just sort of nags on my soul - at the end of the day, I'm really not a photographer, I'm a musician. and I know nobody really cares about that but I have this constant tension about it and it really does kind of drive me crazy. brooke rolls her eyes at me when I talk about it, which I attribute to her wisdom. but lately, it's been driving me to write an absurd amount of music. I've been recording a number of demos in the video mode of the photobooth application on my mac, and this image comes from one of those videos.

I am anticipating a lot of writing and travel in the coming weeks and months. I will try to keep some images and music on this blog, as well as some of the ideas I am constantly mulling for the worstweblogintheworld.

and on a lighter note, I have joined a new band where I am playing drums and it is the most fun I have had playing music in maybe several years. and that is not to say that music has not been fun for me, it is really just me saying that playing drums is awesome.

7 comments:

The Sooz said...

I'm glad you're alive and still writing. Sometimes I wonder if I should still be writing. But I am, and glad to be able to write bad blog posts.

Have you listened to The Hour of the Bewilderbeast? It's by Badly Drawn Boy and stellar! I feel like you could get into it. But I have no idea.

Matt Churnock said...

Thanks again for the company in the 'great puppy delivery of '09'. I hear Barack is enjoying her new home.

BrentR said...

So I see George on Sunday with a puppy, apparently unaware of the conspiracy.

BTM, I think we need to hear some samples of you being percussive. Where could one find such things (no bull from anybody about a piano being a percussive instrument).

Charlotte said...

just heard a little more about the new band situation. very intriguing. looking forward to hearing you guys rock out.

Liz said...

i'm jealous. i want to play drums.

really glad you're playing with GH for a couple shows. you guys are going to have so much fun.

Brian T. Murphy said...

sooz - need to check out the hour of the bewilderbeast.

matt - my pleasure. you and me and dogs just go together.

brentr - conspiracy? I'm sure there will be videos soon.

charlotte - I predict late summer, a public rocking will take place.

liz - it is so much more fun than I ever thought possible. GH is going to be fun. definitely looking forward to it.

Daniel Hames said...

Is GH the GH I think he is? The one with a mythical bird for a name?