Tuesday, September 23, 2008

new book, photography by BTM

I feel really fortunate to get to work as a photographer. and I feel even more fortunate that I've gotten to be apart of some really inspiring, challenging projects. a few months ago, I traveled to atlanta and over the course of a few weeks took a series of photographs for an organization called mission year. this organization is headed up by a guy named leroy barber, who has spent his life working in low income neighborhoods. Leroy just finished a book called "new neighbor" and I was hired to take the photographs that ended up being a large portion of the book. the goal was to try and tell the story, to try and capture the feeling of the place.

I didn't know what to expect, and as usual, I felt like I got really lucky with my images. what surprised me most was how much of a pleasure it was to get to know Leroy. his humility and openness revealed a guy I would follow just about anywhere. and I found his insights into urban issues to be refreshing and not overbearing. it was a joy to spend the time with him.

anyway, the book just came out. check it out here, and consider purchasing a copy to support leroy's work. it's only $15. the design ended up being really great, and they used a ton of my photos. I really feel honored to be apart of this.

thanks jeff and leroy for thinking of me...look forward to working with you guys again in the future.

one last thing: I've been working on some slideshows for photographs, so I decided to make one for some of the shots for this project. for some reason it's been acting weird in blogger so if it doesn't pull up click here.

5 comments:

katie said...

btm, that looks amazing! congrats and from what i can see so far, a job well done! your photography seems like a perfect window into his ministry...

Weatherly said...

Congrats! That is an awesome accomplishment for a great cause!

The Sooz said...

Photos are great as usual. Though, I guess I've seen a few of them.

Who is that song by?

daniel said...

Nice stuff Brian. My brother is doing MY in Philly so it's cool to see some of Atlanta.

Andra said...

This is great! I didn't get a chance to meet you while you were here in Atlanta, but what a great job you did. It is awesome to see how things just came together perfectly for the book.