Friday, August 1, 2008

last night in new york

it's been a great week in new york. I came here to learn about / spend a week thinking about / working on photography, and as far as that goes, I got to sit and absorb some of the best ideas and artistic philosophies I could have ever imagined. I feel really encouraged about what I'm doing and where I'm heading. I've got a lot of photography work coming up, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do. hopefully I'll keep moving forward.

got to meet up with a lot of people this week. I met with steve hardy and spent several hours with him on wednesday. steve is a brilliant mix engineer who works with steve lillywhite (that's right, steve lillywhite). I really like steve, and even though my friendship with him is only beginning, I appreciate his work and I respect his opinions and I look forward to making music with him very soon.

I also enjoyed getting to know the people in my photography classes. there were people there from literally all over the world, but the two people I was most excited to meet were caleb chancey and bryan johnson. both these guys are from birmingham, (bryan is the reason I'm in new york this week) and both of them are talented photographers who I have a ton of respect for. it was a pleasure to ride the train out to greenwhich village tonight and sit out on the street and talk for a long time.

and of course, it's always a pleasure to reconnect with old friends. manu and cammie sancheti (you may remember manu as my friend of the month back in april 2006) have been letting me crash in their apartment this week, and I've barely gotten to see them at all. which is a shame because I really like these sanchetis. we did get a couple nights where they stayed up way too late talking to me, and I was thankful for that.

and I got to connect with old friends throughout the week: shane and kory, amanda, and jeannie and chris, as well as their boy owen. I took some really cool photos of them while we walked through brooklyn this morning and I might post those later on.

I ended up not taking many photos while I was here. this was partly because I was so busy just trekking all through the city to see all the different people and make it to my classes. and it was also because new york is kind of a hard place for me to photograph because there are so many people in it. and I feel like it's all already been done.

but here's a few I got of times square. nothing too special, but I like them.




9 comments:

brett said...

very cool. i've never been to new york and i really want to go.

Stacey said...

I'm REALLY glad you enjoyed it and that you got to hang with Beej and Caleb.

The Shulls said...

How fun!! So happy for you :) and once again... i love the pics!!! You are so talented!

Frank said...

I think you are full of crap Murph. Those are not your photos, they are full of people and everyone knows that Murph shoots empty streets. Just playin. I can't believe that you are hanging with Steve.

Nick said...

When I get home will you take me on a photo adventure safari in Birmingham and teach me some tricks?

A Bryan Photo said...

great hangin man
hope it happens again soon
Bj

Steve Hardy said...

It was an honor to spend time with you while you were here in NYC. Thanks for making time to hang.

Daniel Hames said...

Brillilant, brilliant photos, BTM.

Supabloggasuprememama said...

beautiul and inspirational-as usual!