Tuesday, December 4, 2007

baby jack

my good friends, evan and kelley, have adopted a beautiful boy. he arrived ten weeks early, and tonight, I went to meet little jack at the intensive care unit at st. vincent's hospital. jack's story is only beginning; and it's already been a wild ride. suffice it to say that jack is not supposed to be here. jack is not supposed to be alive. jack is not supposed to have parents like evan and kelley.

and yet, apparently, jack is exactly where is supposed to be.

I was talking to a friend a few days ago and he said "you know brian, I'm just ready for the tragedy to take a break, I'm ready for people's lives who I care about to stop being so hard. I know I can't expect good things, but maybe I can hope for things to just be steady for a little while?"

seems like all around me all I see is death. relationships broken. people who can't get along. friends carrying secrets and pain that their eyes can't lie about. deep sadness. my pattern of sitting silently with my friends never seems to find an end.

and yet there are these small moments of hope. they sneak up on me. I think they sneak up on all of us. there are moments like tonight, when I am totally caught off guard, standing in a hospital looking at a baby that isn't supposed to be alive.

it's nice to have a little hope.






13 comments:

kari said...

Brian this is a beautiful post and baby jack is precious....Kari

Mary Brocato said...

thanks for the pictures Brian- helps to see such beautiful shots of Jack, when we're far away.

Benj said...

That's really beautiful.

bruce said...

so incredible - great pictures

Emily said...

baby jack is precious and will be well loved. in fact, he is so precious, my nephew wants him.
glad you posted these pics.

evan said...

sigh. Thanks.

Jeff Irwin said...

amen.

shawn avery said...

BTM... i'm going to ponder deleting my blog account. it really doesn't mean anything compared to this post. fantastic photos. and yes, i'd like for mr. life to give a break to a few people i know as well.

Carla Jean said...

I've tried to comment on this post probably eight times, but there's just not much to add. What you wrote is beautiful, baby Jack's story is beautiful, hope is beautiful. And the picture of baby Jack with his arms outstretch makes me want to cry.

Brian T. Murphy said...

to everyone. thanks for visiting, thanks for the comments.

to baby jack - welcome.

Daniel said...

Awesome. Great photos. Helpful thoughts. Evan and Kelly have done a good job! Congratulations guys.

curt chadwick said...

Brian,

Im writing from inside the NICU here in FT Worth, Tomorrow we take home our son Andrew, He had stroke during birth and was experiencing seizures for the first few days of his life. Your music has been a God send. I pray your friends know that they are not alone. This experience has broken my heart of stone.

http://chizzelwick.blogspot.com/

Muchiri said...

I had no idea my friend Brian can be so deep.....
What a wonderful post...like Shawn, i might want to consider deleting my blog.....
I am one of those that are always looking for a glimpse of hope, and Baby Jack brings that.
Naomi