Saturday, August 25, 2007

a children's song

I write a lot of songs. and I write a lot of music to hymn text. I mean, a lot. I've got over a hundred songs that I'll never get around to recording. so, I've decided that I'm going to start sharing some of my demos. why not.

wrote this song just this week with my friend jon black. I love thinking about songs for children. maybe this one works. the text is nice. thanks jon for helping me finish this one out. and thanks, melanie, for sharing this text with me, and so many others.

audio here

There's a Wideness
Text: Frederick Faber, 1862
Music: Jon Black and Brian T. Murphy, 2007

There's a wideness in God's mercy
like the wideness of the sea;
there's a kindness in his justice,
which is more than liberty.
There is welcome for the sinner,
and more graces for the good;
there is mercy with the Savior;
there is healing in his blood.

There is no place where earth's sorrows
are more felt than in heaven;
there is no place where earth's failings
have such kind judgment given.
There is plentiful redemption
in the blood that has been shed;
there is joy for all the members
in the sorrows of the Head.

For the love of God is broader
than the measure of man's mind;
and the heart of the Eternal
is most wonderfully kind.
If our love were but more faithful,
we should take him at his word;
and our life would be thanksgiving
for the goodness of the Lord.


full text here

10 comments:

kristen said...

I love it. It's a perfect lullaby.

Benj said...

Nice text, solid tune. Good work.

Man, it is funny that I have been thinking about songs for children all week. I am about to start doing songs for children at my church and I really don't know what I'm going to do. Like little children, first graders. Perhaps I will use this one.

brett said...

this is really good man! i'm really glad you've decided to start laying some of these ideas down and especially sharing them.

stephanie said...

Gorgeous. How do all these hymn texts get lost?? I'm dumbfounded.

Brian T. Murphy said...

kristen - thanks. and thanks for the side thoughts about children's music in general. like I said - someday I think I'll really have a vision for children's music. until then it's just attempts and guesses.

benj - thanks man. yeah I would have no idea what to do for 1st graders. good luck with that.

brett - yeah. I've been sitting on so many demos for so long, and some of them are pretty listenable. I'm going to start doing this more often.

stephanie - it works out well for me - there is always a surplus of material to work with. I agree. this text is fantastic.

stephanie said...

You're so much help to Benj. Hahahaha

Charlotte said...

I really like this. It's quite beautiful.

t.sc said...

I sometimes forget you are a talented musician and not just a guy I know who takes photos with frightening precognition of the coming nuclear apocalypse.

木須炒餅Jerry said...

cool!i love it!情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,做愛

Cynthia said...

is this blog still "current"?? I really like y'alls music for "there's a wideness". didn'trealize it was done with children in mind! Do you have a current "place" to here it?? your old site isn't there anylonger?