Monday, June 18, 2007

lots of travel, lots of family

well, the past week has been insane. my uncle tom died unexpectedly and suddenly and so wednesday night I got on a plane and headed north, to baltimore, where I am from, and where I have a surprisingly large amount of family. it was great to catch up and visit with so many people I find that I care about a great deal. and I was glad that I could be there for my dad. if I ever lose my brothers, I'll probably freak out. fortunately, I'm rather set on dying young, so I will probably get away without ever having to deal with that.

on friday, I left for illinois with my friend alex. we were headed up there so that I could play for a wedding for my aunt's step-daughter (my step-cousin?). really it was just an excuse for a road trip (I am always looking for a good reason to burn fuel), and the time with alex, the open road, and illinois family could not have been more desirable.

illinois has a lot of corn. in fact, if you tried to eat your way through illinois, you couldn't. that's how much corn there is. here are some photos of me and alex in the corn and soybean fields.









and also of us in the middle of the road, and in front of a barn. (we were very excited about the barn)












and on the way home, we stopped in metropolis, which is right on the illinois / kentucky border. and in metropolis, they have a giant superman statue. I was very excited about this.


















11 comments:

brett said...

i'm going to go ahead and ask...are you actually superman?!

Brian T. Murphy said...

brett - fantastic question!

JP said...

We call John's dad's wife's sons' children Rachel's "fake cousins."

And, no, I can't say that first part 3 times fast.

BB said...

Cool pictures - cornfields are beautiful. Although I'm reading "the Omnivore's Dilema" right now and pretty much every thing we consume (beef, chicken, soda - almost everything) is made of or was fed corn. We are children of the corn.

holes in my logic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

I've been to Metropolis before! It was quite the booming...Metropolis...

brandi said...

jeff wants to know if you went on a sufjan tour.

Benj said...

Wow, Metropolis looks wonderful. I thought all that Superman stuff was made up.

Brian T. Murphy said...

JP – I don’t have any fake cousins, but I like the term for sure.

BB – there is something eerily pleasant about a corn field, even though Wendell Berry has helped me to truly hate modern american corporate farming.

Anna – it was my first time. it will surely not be the last.

Brandi – no not quite – but we definitely had sufjan’s illinoise and several wilco records on while we were in Illinois. How can you not?

Benj – it is for real. I saw it with mine own two eyes.

Supabloggasuprememama said...

Sorry about your uncle. Love your photography. It has a tongue and cheek classic american vibe...you should publish. Oh and I have a fake grandmother...we actually call her that though not to her face.(my dads step mom)

Jeff said...

Brian, I've been there before. Paul Washer is from there. Did you also see the Grocery Store statue?